FOLEY'S FOLLIES

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Eggs Benedict



“Hot buttered English muffins, Canadian-style bacon, and poached eggs are topped by a heavenly drizzle of hollandaise sauce”


What is there NOT to love? This is my all-time favorite breakfast, which unfortunately I do not make very often possibly for the reason; it has 892 calories, with 71 g of fat! The good news is there's a whole stack of low-fat Eggs Benny recipes on the Internet. If I make this twice a year I’m lucky, so of course I had to make it for St. Patrick’s Day Foodie Friday hosted by Michael, Designs by Gollum. Make sure you check out her blog to link up with other bloggers who participate in Foodie Friday, you’ll find some super recipes!






The recipe is not complex at all…start with a toasted English muffin with a slice of Canadian bacon on it, topped with a poached egg and creamy Hollandaise sauce. There are literally dozens of recipes for Hollandaise on the Internet and in cookbooks worldwide. I’m confessing I do not make any of them…. My time is precious to me so I use the Knorr packaged Hollandaise Sauce mix, which in my opinion tastes very good. I’ve been told that the McCormick brand is very good also, though I have never tried the brand.

If you’re going to indulge and make Eggs Benedict, you may as well go all-out and serve the dish with a chilled Mimosa!!



Make sure you all stop by Cuisine Kathleen and join in on Tuesday, March 17 for a St. Patricks Celebration "IRISH" style. There will be a Mr. Linky so you can link your blog to Kathleens!! Hope to see you all there...






May you live as long as you want,
And never want as long as you live.

26 comments:

A Grain of Salt said...

Hey, Barb... next time, invite me! My favorite breakfast too! Did you have to mention the calories? I make the McCormick's Hollandaise, using only 2T of butter and water with a squeeze of lemon at the end. That saves quite a few calories. Your eggs Benedict looks awesome!

A Grain of Salt said...

Ohm and I LOVE mimosas!

Martha said...

It's one of my favorite breakfasts, too.

xinex said...

This looks so good and I did not realize it was this easy to make. I will surprise dh one morning and serve him this. Thanks for the recipe...Christine

Four Paws and Co said...

Yummm! I love Eggs Benedict with a twist, I substitute spinach or avocado for the canadian bacon, but it's still an awesome dish! (My hubby can't stand to see runny eggs & thinks I'm torturing him when I eat it... tee hee hee!) ☺

Nancy Jane said...

This is what I usually eat out! I've never made it, but maybe now I will. You recipe looks wonderful. Nancy

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

Barb, my favorite breakfast! I wish I hadn't seen this until dinner time :-) Now I want one, with a mimosa. Give me the works!!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

What an absolutely delicious breakfast! I am starved just gazing at it. YUM! Great pictures, and I love that little touch of green!

Happy FF and St. Pat's!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Michelle, All Home and Love said...

Mmmmmmmm! One of my favorite breakfast foods. I have never tried my own though, I'll have to try that mix.
~Michelle

Bo said...

Hi...this is my first visit and I enjoyed it so much I'm adding you to my blog list so I can come back often... ;-) Bo

Susan @ The Good Life! said...

Who cares about the calories! I'll have some of that! Love all of the pictures of your furbabies (poor shaved kitty) and garden!

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious, Barb!

Cynthia said...

Barb, you just posted John's all-time favorite breakfast. Yours looks delicious. I rarely make it because of problems with the Hollandaise separating. I need to try the package mix.

My favorite part of the meal would be the mimosa. :)

Kathleen said...

I think you meant IRISH Muffin!
Looks wonderful, and love your plate and touch of green bling!
See you at the party..wear green! :)

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

My hubby loves this breakfast too but I haven't made it at home in years. I love Knorrs sauce packages - and Mimosas :)

Carol said...

What a fabulous breakfast, Barb! I haven't had that in years, never at home, yours looks better than any brunch I've had in restaurants!

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

oh my....haven't had in ages...but it is so good! Happy Foodie Friday! Have a great weekend ~ Susan

Anonymous said...

Oh I too looovvveee eggs benedict but have to resist and only indulge once in a while. yours looks so yummy! Happy FF to you!

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

That looks so delish! I think that is definitely one of my favorites! Linda

Kat said...

I just love this dish, but like you have it only occasionally. And why not go for the mimosa? Thanks for letting me know about the Reading Terminal post, really enjoyed the trip down memory lane! Kathy

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

I can't believe I'm 50 something and have never eaten this -- it looks devine -- I'm going to have to try this!

Marsha said...

Okay, I'm 50 something too and have never had this either. Mimosa...now that's a different story :) It does look really good and sounds awfully rich with that many calories and fat grams. Good for you treating yourself!

imjacobsmom said...

Ahhh! So good! I know what I am having for breakfast! ~ Robyn

Suzy said...

I love eggs benedict and yours looks wonderful. I've only done the packets before. I need to try the real thing one day. Usually I just get this at restuarants though. I'm glad you treated yourself!

Four Paws and Co said...

Hi Barb! Thanks for dropping by & leaving your sweet comments!

Happy Pink Saturday! ♥ Diane

Kathy said...

Oh my i'm drooling, luckily it's breakfast time right now here across the pond, I bet mine don't look as good as yours though but as they say practice makes perfect and I will have fun practicing lol. Kathy.