FOLEY'S FOLLIES

Friday, April 24, 2009

Espresso Brownies






Time again for "Foodie Friday" hosted by Michael of Designs by Gollum Please stop by her blog and link to all the participants, you'll find some great recipes to try. Also, my good blog friend Suzy, from Kitchen Bouquet started an informal "Flashback Friday" which is also a fantastic place to perhaps catch a recipe you have seen before and forgot to copy it down..here's your chance!

I made these brownies last summer and they are the most decadent brownie I have ever tasted. The flavor from the espresso powder deepens the chocolate aroma and you think you are in heaven! The recipe is adapted from a series of recipes I have found from various blogs...tweak it to your own taste, that's what recipes are for...



This is made in a 8 or 9" square pan, which you may think.."this isn't big enough for my family"... the brownies are so rich, you cut them about half the size of a regualar brownie!

Enjoy, you will not be disappointed!

ESPRESSO BROWNIES
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temp
4 ounces chopped Scharffen Berger unsweetened chocolate
(I put mine through my mini processor)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon Medaglia D'Oro instant espresso coffee
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 tablespoon Grand Marnier Liqueur or Cointreau
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tsp orange zest
3/4 cup Ghirardelli Barista Dark Chocolate mini chips, or whatever you have on hand

Preheat oven to 325 degrees, butter a 8-9-inch square baking pan, Set aside.

Combine butter and unsweetened chocolate in a large metal or glass bowl and place over a pan of simmering water (make sure bowl is not touching the water), stirring occasionally, until chocolate is completely melted. Let it cool for 5 minutes. Whisk in the sugar, espresso coffee, vanilla, liqueur and eggs.
Sift together flour, cinnamon, and salt in a small bowl, then add to the chocolate mixture, and stir until just combined, don't overmix. Fold in the orange zest and mini chocolate chips.

Pour into pan and bake 30 to 35 minutes. A toothpick inserted in center of pan should show just a moist crumb.

Cool completely on a wire rack. Remove from pan and cut to size you wish..

Chocolate Icing:
4 cups sifted Confectioner's Sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons Medaglia D'Oro instant espresso coffee
6 tablespoons milk

Sift sugar into a large bowl. In small saucepan bring butter, cocoa, espresso coffee and milk to a boil. Stir into sugar mixture; blend thoroughly.

Place cut brownies on a rack on top of a baking sheet lined with waxed paper, so you won't have a mess to clean up! Using any type of ladle, pour warm icing over each brownie, letting it drip over the sides. Decorate as desired...I dusted mine with sanding sugar for an extra pizzazz!

A Special Tribute for Mothers Day


Remember, I am hosting a Mothers Day event the weekend of May 8th. Please stop in and post photos and recipes or special heirloom items from your Mother and Grandmothers! If all goes well, I will have Mr. Linky up and running!

17 comments:

Joyce said...

Scrumpdiliompish! A made up word to say WOW!
Joyce

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Those do look wonderfully decadent, Barb! Chocolate is my one favorite indulgence.

Pat@Back PorchMusings said...

The brownies look scrumptious!

bj said...

oh my gosh these look so scrumptious I can't stand it...I'm gonna be making these soon..REAL soon ! Thanks so much...

Cynthia said...

Barb, a great pic ... The brownies look delicious. I think that they would be dangerous to have around. :)

susan said...

These are great and definitely worth a "flashback". I amnot familiar with sanding sugar--gotta google it! Have a great weekend!

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh...these look so yummy! I will add to my foodie friday recipe list. Sweet!!

Carol said...

Those look deliciously decadent! Excellent, Barb, I can just taste them with that sugar crunch!

Beth at Aunties said...

Your brownies look delicious too dripping with wonderful goodness:)


~Beth~

The Bloom Girls said...

I love espresso and chocolate, but when combined in a brownie it is the best! Your recipe sounds fabulous. I'll be adding it to my recipe file.

Have a wonderful weekend!
Nola @ The Bloom Girls

Nancy Jane said...

How did I miss this??? I consider chocolate, coffee and Grand Marnier food groups! These look divine! Nancy

Marsha said...

I just made expresso brownies for Jayme's BD - yumm. Yours are beautiful and a little richer sounding then mine.

I love the logo photo for the mother's day weekend. I can't wait

ellen b. said...

Oh my! I really like how that icing is spilling over the sides. Yummy looking!!

Suzy said...

I remember when you made those and I remember saying I needed to! But then again I'd probably eat the whole batch. They are so pretty and I know they must taste incredible. Great flashback~

imjacobsmom said...

Yummy! They sound so decadent and look it, too! ~ Robyn

Kathleen said...

Barb, I love your little logo for your Mother's Day event....I have been working on mine...it should be lots of fun..
And yes, the brownies look sinful! What's not to like!

Carol said...

Forgot to say I'm looking forward to your event, Barb!