FOLEY'S FOLLIES

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Old-Fashioned Pecan Pie



My sons' GF, Audrey, made this a few weeks ago and it was just delicious. I have to admit, hers did taste better than mine. I may have overcooked the filling by a few minutes and I defintely overfilled the pie plate! But...it still tasted great! I made the Bourbon Whipped Cream (all I had in the house was Crown Royal, so I used that)..it makes a delicious contrast to the sweet and decadent pecan pie!





Old-Fashioned Pecan Pie
Recipe from Cooks Country
(Serves 8-10)

1 Cup Maple Syrup
1 Cup packed light brown sugar
½ Cup heavy cream
1 Tablespoon Molasses
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
(cut into ½ in. pieces)
½ teaspoon salt
6 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
1 ½ Cups pecans, toasted and chopped
1 – 9-inch unbaked pie shell,
chilled in pie plate for 30 minutes

Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 450 degrees. Heat syrup, sugar, cream and molasses in saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves, about three minutes. Remove from heat and let cool 5 minutes. Whisk butter and salt into syrup mixture until combined. Whisk in egg yolks until incorporated.

Scatter pecans in pie shell. Carefully pour filling over. Place pie in hot oven and immediately reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees. Bake until filling is set and centr jiggles slightly when pie is gently shaken, 45 to 60 minutes. Cool pie on rack for 1 hour, then refrigerate until set, about three hours and up to one day. Bring to room temperature before serving.


Bourbon Whipped Cream
(Makes about 2 Cups)

Note: Although any style of whiskey will work, bourbon is more “Southern”!

1 Cup heavy cream
2 Tablespoons bourbon
1 ½ Tablespoons light brown sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract

With electric mixer on medium speed, beat cream, bourbon, sugar and vanilla until stiff peaks form, about 2 minutes. (Whipped cream can be refrigerated for four hours)

MAID-RITE UPDATE: I tried the other recipe for Maid-rites with the cider vinegar, I didn't like it at all..but my oldest son did like it, go figure! I will make the original one again since I loved the texture and flavor.

15 comments:

Cynthia said...

Oh Barb, my mouth is watering. your pecan pie looks FABULOUS. ... I rarely eat pie, but I love pecan pie. I never have made one or buy a whole pie because I have no willpower when it comes to pecan pie. But I do regularly order a piece in restaurants when it's on the menu.

A Grain of Salt said...

OMG, Barb, that looks so damn good! Bet it was delicious!

Cathy said...

Oh, wow, does that look good. I could do serious damage to that pie. This is one of my all time favorites.

Carol said...

Oh man, Barb, that looks amazing!

Lori E said...

My husband and I were just talking about pecan pie. Now if I mention the Crown Royal in the whipping cream it will be all over.

Mary Bergfeld said...

I love the bourbon whipped cream you used to top the pie. It looks and sounds delicious.

Marsha said...

Now that looks like a decadent piece of pie - It sounds wonderful and what a great boyfriend's mom you are to say that Audrey's was better (she totally reads the blog doesn't she) :)

Audrey said...

Yes, I totally do read the blog. :) I really couldn't tell much of a difference between the two pies. I think they were equally delicious Barb. I filed this recipe under the heading, "things that were so darned good I will only allow myself to make them once a year."

Kathleen said...

Good thing you deleted the snippy things you said about Audrey...KIDDING!!!

The pie looks wonderful...just keep slicing a tiny slice..and before you know it it's gone!!!

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

YUM! Wish you lived closer :-)

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

I'm wowed too! I love pecan pie and haven't had it for ages! I'm going to save this recipe for Thanksgiving, Barb!

Barbara said...

Amazing pie! Can't imagine it didn't taste as good as Audry's! Bourbon whipped cream is an inspired idea too.

susan said...

I have been somehow missing you! The pecan pie looks divine and is a favorite of mine. I am definitely going to try the key lime cooler--love anything citrus! Hershey's "rambunctious" days are over--he is a grouchy old man, but we love him!

Unknown said...

Why I wish I had a bite of that pie right this minute with my coffee. That would be the breakfast of champions I bet.
Happy Twirls

Leslie Lee said...

We made this for Thanksgiving after years of using a different recipe. Couldn't believe how everyone raved about how much they liked it. Thanks! I'm going to make it for Christmas dinner dessert as well; maybe with ginger in the cream, or candied ginger sprinkled on top??