FOLEY'S FOLLIES

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Mosaic Monday - Thanksgiving Side Dishes



Some of the delicious side dishes we had with our Thanksgiving Dinner at my sisters...Top Left going clockwise...
I made a new Green Bean casserole from Taste of Home, but I didn't use anything low-fat..it's Thanksgiving. Turned out great - I try and do a different one every other year. Also made a scalloped corn dish just so there was a choice!

My sister, Bev, made the sweet potatoes with marshmallows. A family favorite that always seems to remind us of my brother Dick, who passed away almost 17 years ago.

This Greek Salad was made by my niece and nephew-in-law, Gina and Jay. Everything tasted so fresh, topped with Feta which I am not used to but gave it a unique flavor.

I made mini carrot cupcakes from Taste of Home, topped with Ina's Cream Cheese frosting which is to die for!!




Next up..Cranberry/Apple Salad, this was my Dad's all time favorite. Mom would just use a simple meat grinder to grind up cranberries, apples and throw on some sugar. So simple but still tastes so good. Just the right amount of tart and sweet!

Since there were almost thirty of us my niece Shelly brought along a Ham also. Not quite as good as the one her Mom, my sister Sue, brought last year but it was still good!

Of course there has to be a jello salad of some sort for the younger ones..this one topped with marshmallows did the job.

Deviled eggs which were made by sisters Bev & Sue (I think) are always a staple - if we can convince someone to make them. Usually they rarely make it to the dinner!

Simple, good Midwestern food... too much as usual but was enjoyed by all. It was great to see the ones who came from a distance since some of them we won't be with at Christmas.


I'm linking this post for Mosaic Monday, joining Mary at the Little Red House. Be sure to check out her blog to links for some fantastic mosaics!

12 comments:

Alicia said...

I guess we're not the only ones that have to much food at family gatherings. Everything looks great, especially the eggs...after so much turkey they look devine!

Jeanne said...

It all looks delicious! What a selection to choose from.

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Yum! It all looks so good! Isn't it funny how food can remind you of past holidays and of people you love? Such wonderful memories around the Thanksgiving table! Happy week!...hugs...Debbie

Cathy said...

Wow, what a beautiful meal. Big family gatherings so very special. Deviled eggs always disappear first in my house too. It always amazes me.

Cynthia said...

Barb, what a lovely spread ... Lots of variety, something for everyone ... wonderful mosaics.

I LOVE scalloped corn ... haven't eaten it in many years. I'm the only one left in my family that likes it. Everything looks so tasty, but I could devour the Greek salad especially loaded with good feta and Greek olives.

Kathleen said...

It all looks wonderful! Funny how we all have our special foods!
I have to have feta on my salad..tastes so blah without it!
Hope that ham comment doesn't start a family feud, LOL

Carol said...

Yummy! Have a wonderful week!

Carol said...

Food for thirty? Wow, that's some feast! Everything looks fantastic, Barb!

Can't get into the Taste of Home site for the green bean recipe, subscribers only! It let me see the cupcakes, those look amazing!

eileeninmd said...

A wonderful meal to sharing with your family and friends. Great photos and the food looks delicious.

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a wonderful meal! I also love the collages you assembled to share with us today. Very nice, indeed.

Mary said...

Mmmmm, my mouth is watering! Those cupcakes look delicious! Thanks for sharing at MM. :)

Marsha said...

Barb, once you start using feta you will use it all the time - we love it. Don't you just love big families and they all bring something and it is a true feast of wonderful foods. Beautiful mosaic!